20 Years of Experience in Advanced Orthopedic Pet Surgery in Santa Barbara
Orthopedic surgery is the branch of surgery concerned with conditions involving the musculoskeletal system. Orthopedic surgeons use both surgical and nonsurgical means to treat musculoskeletal trauma, sports injuries, infections, tumors, and congenital disorders.
At LCAH we do not rely on traveling veterinarians to bring their equipment and expertise with them to care for your pet's orthopedic needs. We have invested the capital and time required for proper training on the equipment needed to perform complex orthopedic procedures with accuracy and efficiency. LCAH has extensive experience and formal additional training beyond veterinary school with many orthopedic diagnostic and surgical procedures.
Related Diagnoses treated on a regular basis at LCAH
Anterior Crucuaite Ligament (ACL) and meniscal tears & TPLO surgery, fractures, dislocation, hip dysplasia, growth plate injury, patellar luxation, Osteochondrosis
RELATED EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE ON-SITE:
- Microair Drill & Pin Driver and Trinkle Driver - Nitrogen driven
- Microair Burr Driver-1.7 inch lb torque runs at 300,000 rpms variable speed & numerous burrs - Used for specific jobs - nitrogen driven
- Hall and Microair High Speed Oscillating Saws - Used to cut through bone when needed - one for small bone work and a larger one for larger bones. Both have variable angles, speed and saw blade width, nitrogen driven
- TPLO Oscillating Saw with variety of biradial saw blades - nitrogen driven
- Full set of bone reduction instruments for any job
- Synthes (Swiss) Full Plating Set employing 1.0 mm to 4.0 mm systems
- Large array of stocked plates, screws, pins, wire implants - Used to stabilize and repair most fractures in all sizes of dogs and cats
- Gradated Osteotome Set
Dr. Dalo has formal training in the use of plates, screws, pins, wires, external fixators by attending the Arbeitsgemeinschaft fur Osteosyntheseffagen (AO) Group and American Collage of Internal Fixation (ASIF) Group of veterinary orthopedic surgeons conventions where intense study and hands on training is involved to obtain certification. Dr. Dalo was formally trained by Dr. Slocum, inventor of TPLO procedure, in 1999 to perform TPLO surgery (a complex orthopedic procedure used to treat larger dogs with a torn cruciate ligament of the knee) and was required to pass a test to obtain certification. Dr. Dalo was formally trained by Board Certified Veterinary surgeon Dr. Bob Olds to perform TPO surgery (a surgery employed on young dogs with hip dysplasia.)
Additionally, LCAH has the expertise and is stocked with state of the art equipment required to perform the principles of bone and joint surgery and healing of these orthopedic problems and more:
- Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy (TPLO)
- Triple Pelvic Osteotomy (TPO)
- Osteotomies to correct angulation defects
- Repairing a simple or compound fracture or comminuted fracture that is recent
- Repairing an infected nonunion
In his 26 years of continuous small animal experience, Dr. Dalo has worked on all appendicular,spinal, skull & facial bones and joints of dogs and cats.